Friday, April 30, 2010

Plagiarism in Song

Although there have been many claims of plagiarism in the music industry throughout the years, some are substantial while others are not as clear cut. What is believed to be a plagiarized song is The Chiffons’ “He’s so Fine”. The Chiffons successfully sued George Harrison for plagiarism when he released his 1970 song “My Sweet Lord”. When listening to these two songs, and even played at the same time, it has a clear resemblance, if not the same sound, most of the time.

What I believe to be a coincidental relationship is Avril Lavigne’s “Girlfriend” and the Rubinoo’s “I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend”. They both have the similar lines, “Hey (hey), you (you) I want to be your…” but that is it. I do not see any other connection between the songs and the overall message seems so different along with the tempo and music other than that one line.

No comments:

Post a Comment